<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.flavorfromscratch.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Flavor From Scratch: Zucchini, Corn & Spinach Quiche

9.09.2015

Zucchini, Corn & Spinach Quiche

I didn't eat eggs until I had quiche. True story. Except for in baked goods, I didn't eat eggs for about 20 years of my life. I think in my mind they were mysterious and gross and wouldn't be good to put in my mouth. I had no reason to think this. I don't think I had ever actually given them a chance.

One day, my friends and I were all home from college and they were coming over for brunch. My mom asked what I wanted to make and I said quiche. Why I chose quiche I have no idea. I was fully aware that it was made with eggs as a star ingredient. Apparently I thought my friends really liked quiche. Who knows.


My mom asked what I wanted in my quiche so she could pick up the ingredients when she went grocery shopping and I just found a recipe with the basics. Eggs. Cheese. Sweet bell pepper. Done.

I made the quiche with a store bought crust and the basics. By the way, you can also make this recipe with an uncooked store bought crust. It will still be yummy! Anyway, I sat and twiddled my thumbs while it baked thinking it would turn out like a giant egg mess.


Lo and behold, about an hour later when the quiche was done it looked rather tasty. Being that I asked for quiche, had my mom buy the ingredients, then went through the trouble to make it, I figured I better eat it. So very tentatively I picked up my fork and took a bite. Delicious! Turns out eggs are pretty good.


Sorry 20 years of my life. Sorry you missed out on eggs and delicious quiche. Because I missed so much deliciousness over the years, I make it up to myself now by making all sorts of delicious quiche. Here's a good one!


ZUCCHINI, CORN & SPINACH QUICHE
prep time: 30 minutes, cook time: 1 hour
serves: 6-8 people

INGREDIENTS
For the pie crust:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed (1 stick)
  • 3 tablespoons cold water

For the filling:
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 ears of corn (about 1 cup corn)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion (I used half a small yellow onion)
  • 2 cups of fresh spinach
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch to sprinkle on zucchini
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup grated melting cheese (I used cheddar)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese


DIRECTIONS
For the pie crust:
  1. Place dry ingredients (flour, salt, sugar) in food processor and pulse to blend. 
  2. Add butter in 1/2 inch cubes, one or two at a time. Pulse between adding cubes of butter to incorporate. 
  3. Add water and pulse until the dough just comes together into a ball
  4. Flatten dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
  5. After dough has rested, roll into circle on well-floured surface and transfer into pie dish.
  6. Crimp edges of pie crust and set aside.
For the filling:
  1. Slice zucchini and squash into thin slices (I used a mandoline) and place on a wire rack. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for at least 15 minutes while preparing the rest of the filling.
  2. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add corn cut from corn cobs and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes until the corn turns bright yellow and the onion starts to turn translucent. Add fresh spinach and heat until it just wilts in the pan. Take off heat and set aside.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Mix in the melting cheese and Parmesan cheese (I saved a little cheese to sprinkle over top).
  4. Take a paper towel or towel and pat the zucchini and squash dry. You want them as dry as possible so the quiche does not become soggy.
To assemble:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Layer zucchini/squash with onion/corn/spinach mixture in pie crust.
  3. Pour egg mixture over top, making sure it gets all the way to the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. 
  4. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until eggs become firm to the touch in the middle. Let sit about 10 minutes once it is out of the oven to set before cutting. Quiche can be served hot or warm.
NOTES
You want to make sure the zucchini and squash are VERY dry or else there could be too much water in the mixture and you end up with a soggy pie crust. 

You can buy an uncooked pie crust at the store and complete the process the same way...but what's the fun in that?

Mozzarella, Gouda, or another kind of melting cheese would be nice instead of cheddar but I had cheddar I had to use up! It was still delicious!

I topped mine with fresh basil because I had it. And because it's pretty. Who doesn't like pretty?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home