<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.flavorfromscratch.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Flavor From Scratch: Spicy Fish with an Avocado & Greek Yogurt Sauce

9.01.2015

Spicy Fish with an Avocado & Greek Yogurt Sauce

I'm honestly new to this whole "fish" thing. My mom loves fish and probably would have made it more as we were growing up if my sister and I weren't so darn picky. Unfortunately for her she pretty much lost that battle and lived a fish-free life for the most part. But guess what?? I like fish now! Kind of. In small quantities as least. I can really only eat about half a fillet of fish before I get tired of it and have to try and pawn it off on my husband or save it for another day. Progress is slow. But, hey...progress is progress.

This recipe was kind of the recipe that changed my view of fish from "no, thank you" to "hey, this is kind of not bad". Actually, it is DELICIOUS! I can even sometimes eat a full fillet of this fish because I love it so much. And sometimes I only eat half but, again, progress can be slow. I use tilapia because a good tilapia fillet is light and it doesn't really have a strong flavor so it can take on the flavor of whatever you put on it.
In this case, you put a rub on the fish that is so smoky and spicy and yummy it will make your mouth water. And it may make you sweat if you're not up for heat. BUT, then you add this creamy and tangy avocado sauce that balances the heat of the fish. I can literally eat this sauce by the spoonful. I am not joking about that and I am not sorry for the image you now have of me stuffing my face with avocado sauce.


So, I'm sorry mom that you never got to eat fish because we were so picky. Turns out, fish really isn't so bad after all. It's actually kind of delicious.


SPICY FISH WITH AN AVOCADO & GREEK YOGURT SAUCE
recipe modified from Baking with Blondie
prep time: 15 minutes, cook time: 10 minutes
serves: 2 people

INGREDIENTS
For the fish:
  • 2 fish fillets (I used tilapia. It was about 0.8 pounds)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, to fry in
For the avocado sauce:
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/2 of small (5.3-ounce) plain Greek yogurt container
  • juice from half a lime
  • salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS
  1. Mix together the ingredients for the fish rub (paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper). Rub mixture on both sides of the fish fillets.
  2. Heat olive oil in large saute pan and cook fish for about 4 minutes per side, or until it becomes flaky. *Alternate method of cooking would be to place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven, or until it flakes with a fork. This method does not require the oil.
  3. While the fish is cooking, place the avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice and salt in a food processor and blend. 
  4. Serve with rice or on its own!

NOTES
If you do not have a food processor you can mash it together by hand but it may not get quite as creamy. You can also put this rub and sauce on chicken and it is also delicious!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home